Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
For More Help
Try the Library Tutorial section on Finding Materials in the Library.
Call Numbers and Locations
Buley Library uses the Library of Congress Classification System to catalog and arrange most books and other items in the Library. Call numbers are assigned by the major subject of the work, so books on similar topics are on the same or nearby shelves.
When you search the catalog for books, you'll see 3 boxes on the item record: Location, Call No., and Status.
Here's how to interpret what you see:
- SCSU Stacks are on the 2nd and 3rd floors of Buley:
- Stacks call numbers beginning with A-PL are on the 2nd floor.
- Stacks call numbers beginning with PM-Z are on the 3rd floor.
- SCSU Conn (Connecticut) Collection books are on the ground floor in Special Collections
- SCSU Fac (Faculty) Collection, Rare Books, and X Collection are closed collections. Please ask at the Reference or Circulation Desk to request materials from these collections.
- SCSU Leisure Reading books are on the 1st floor next to the circulation desk.
- SCSU Curriculum Collection materials are on the ground floor.
- SCSU Juvenile Fiction & Nonfiction books are on the ground floor.
- SCSU Media materials are on the main 1st floor.
- SCSU Oversize books are on the 3rd floor.
- SCSU Reference books are on the 1st floor.
- SCSU Thesis print copies - The recent years are located on the 3rd floor of the library. Earlier years are currently unavailable in hardcopy but may be available online. Please see a Reference Librarian.
- SCSU Current Issues (Journals, Magazines, & Newspapers) are on the ground floor.
- SCSU Bound Journals and Indexes are on the ground floor.
- SCSU Newspapers are on the ground floor.
- SCSU Microfilm and Microfiche are on the ground floor.