General Library Help
Library Help Guides
- Academic Search Premier Video Tutorial
- APA Citation Guide
- Citation Help
- Consuls Keyword Media Searches
- CONSULS Search Tutorial
- CQ Researcher Database Search Tutorial
- Did you know..?
- Distance Learning Library Services
- EndNote Web
- Finding Journals
- Finding Periodical Articles (Journals, Magazines and Newspapers)
- Google Scholar
- Information Literacy for Tier II Creative Drive Courses
- JSTOR Video Tutorial
- Library Glossary
- Library Help and Tutorials
- Library Hours
- Library Services for Online/Distance Faculty
- Library Skills for Students of English Composition
- Library Tutorial
- MLA Citation Style Guide
- Mobile Services at Buley Library
- Off campus access & CONSULS/database login
- Off-campus Access to Databases
- OffCampus Access
- Oxford English Dictionary Online
- Peer Reviewed Articles
- Periodical Articles
- Primary and Secondary Sources
- Science Direct
- Search Strategy
- Search the Web
- Text a Librarian at SCSU!
FAQs, ask by email, etc.
Other Online Resources
PDF's not opening?
So far, this problem is mostly on Firefox in the Mac, and on iPads.
Firefox on Mac: If PDF's are not opening in EBSCO or other databases, in the menu bar, try installing the Schubert-it PDF plugin, which is free for educational use. This is the plugin that EBSCO is currently recommending for the Mac.
iPad: Try the Puffin browser or another alternative browser. The default browser (Safari) may only show the first page of a PDF.
Additional PDF plugin issues are caused when the Adobe plugin (which doesn't work properly in some browsers) updates and resets to the default PDF reader. In Firefox, go to Tools and Add ons. Choose Plugins and disable the Adobe PDF plugin.
On Windows computers, older versions of Adobe Acrobat Reader may not display properly. Keep the Reader updated for performance and security reasons!
Database access problems
If you are ON CAMPUS and having trouble using the databases, try these "Unproxied" databases links.
If you are OFF CAMPUS:
1) Log in to https://remote.southernct.edu/ (campus network/MySCSU/Blackboard Vista login)
2) In the box on the upper right, type http://library.southernct.edu and click Browse.
You can also click the + symbol to the right of Web Bookmarks, and add a direct link to the library.
3) Click Search Databases or Articles, then All Databases to get to the main database page, and use the link below to get to the Database links.
Note: Viewing will likely be slow, and some links may not work at all, due to the restrictions of the Remote service.
If the power goes out on campus, the Remote server may also go down.
- Last Updated Jan 29, 2013
For direct access on campus to databases when the proxy server (CONSULS login) is down
29 views this year