Advanced Searches offer more options, and usually have multiple search boxes to help you construct a better (more specific) search. Put one search term or phrase in each box. The link to Advanced Search is usually either right near the basic search box or at the top of the page.
Advanced Search in Medline has extra search features such as:
- English Language check box
- Human vs. Animal experiments (and even specific animals)
- Age ranges
- Sex (M/F)
- Subject and Journal (subject based) subsets
- Clinical queries limited to Therapy, Diagnosis, Prognosis, Reviews, Prediction, Qualitative, Cost, and Economics. 3 levels in each category cover wide range (high sensitivity), narrow accuracy (high specificity), and mid-range (best balance).
- Publication Types include various types of research studies, such as clinical trials, case reports, historical studies, and meta-analysis studies, educational items, reports, and many more.
Advanced Search in CINAHL includes:
- English Language
- Research Article
- Clinical queries (see above) for Therapy, Prognosis, Review, Qualitative, and Causation
- Nurse authors
- Patient groups such as age groups, sex, pregnancy, and in- and out-patient
- Subject groups by journal or special topic
- Publication types such as evidence based, clinical trial, review, continuing education, and many more.