Skip to main content

Hilton C. Buley Library


Access Services: Faculty & Staff Information

Access Services includes Circulation, Interlibrary Loan, and Reserves. The Circulation Desk is on the 1st floor of the Library.

Borrowing Library Materials

How Do I Check Out Library Material?

Your HootLoot ID serves as your library card. Full-time faculty, adjuncts and staff may borrow library materials from any of the CSU libraries. All library patrons must present a current, valid University identification when checking out material and agree to abide by all applicable policies.

Southern Connecticut State University library patrons who have lost their  ID can obtain a replacement by going to the Wintergreen Building, Room 109. For additional information see Hours of Operation, and information about the Card Office website.

Library Circulation Policies for CSCU (Connecticut State Colleges & Universities)

Circulation of Library Materials

  • A maximum of 50 items from the CSCU Library System (Connecticut State Colleges & Universities and the Connecticut State Library) can be checked out.
  • Books will circulate for 120 days with the option to renew once.
  • Library books are subject to recall after 2 weeks. If another library patron places a hold on an item that's checked out, the book(s) will need to be returned with 14 days. The due date for the requested book will change to a two-week status.
  • Media(CDs, DVDs, VHS tapes) circulates for one week with the option to renew once.
  • Report all lost or stolen cards immediately or you may be held responsible for any library materials borrowed.

How Do I Get Items from the Other CSU Libraries?

  • Requests for books from any other CSU libraries can be done through the catalog and will be sent to Buley by campus courier. be sure to select Buley as your pick up location.
  • You also can check out library material by going directly to the library.

How do I get Items from the Connecticut State Library in Hartford?

The Connecticut State Library is not a participant in the campus courier system so there is a different process for getting material from the State Library..

  • Fill out an Interlibrary Loan form through the ILLiad system and the material will be requested from the State Library.
  • Visit the Connecticut State Library in Hartford and check out the material directly from the library with your  ID..

Non-Circulating Material

The following collections do not normally circulate:

  • Reference Collection
  • Archival Sources
  • Special Collections
  • Periodicals Collection – Both the bound and current issues
  • Microfilm/Microfiche Collections

The library has 2 scanner/printers on the first floor of the library. You can scan items and print out, e-mail or save to a drive.

Return of Library Material

Library material can be returned to the Circulation Desk or the book drop located outside of Buley Library. Material borrowed from any of the CONNSCU libraries may also be returned to Buley Library and will be returned through the courier service. Interlibrary Loan material should always be returned to the Circulation Desk.

Interlibrary Loan

How do I Order Material that is not available from Southern or the other CSU Libraries?

Interlibrary Loan Material:

  • Interlibrary loan material can be requested by setting up an ILLiad Account

ILLiad - Requesting Library Items

  • ILL online materials, such as journal articles, will automatically be sent to your desktop unless otherwise requested. Books and other items can be picked up at the Circulation Desk.
  • Many libraries will permit renewals of ILL material, but all renewal requests must be submitted to the Interlibrary Loan Services via your ILLiad account..
  • Library patrons agree to follow all ILL policies and will be held responsible for all fines or lost items.