Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.

Distance Learning Library Services

A guide to Buley Library's services and support for online teaching and learning, plus links to selected resources for online research.

Search other Libraries

Search in Libraries WorldWide

Student access to other libraries

When visiting other libraries, it is generally a good idea to contact the library in question first to determine access and privileges. You should be sure to have ID, and possibly something identifying you as an SCSU student (ID card, transcript, class schedule, etc.) You may need to buy a copy card for photocopying and/or printing, or have sufficient change to use a photocopier. You should bring a USB drive to download articles in case printing is not available. Every library will have different policies about the extent of access they allow to guests.

In Connecticut: SCSU students can use any other CSCU libraries, using their Hoot Loot card (SCSU ID) as their library card. SCSU students also have access to University of Connecticut libraries, but cannot check books out. Computer access may be limited.

Private colleges and universities often allow other institution's students to use their library on a walk in basis, but access to online resources, special collections, or subject libraries is often restricted. In general, you will not be able to borrow books. Contact the library in question before visiting for more information.

The State Library in Hartford is open to any CT resident. State Library materials are cataloged in SouthernSearch (CSCU Consortium option). Hours, directions, and visitor information are available on the State Library website.

Outside of Connecticut:

  • Most state supported colleges and universities (University of [State Name], [State Name] State College, etc.) have programs supporting access for local residents. Proof of local residency is usually required. Borrowing may be restricted and Interlibrary Loan privileges may not be available. There are usually no restrictions on "walk in" services such as using the reference or journal collections and using the on site databases. Visit or call your local campus library for details on "Special" or "Community" borrowing privileges. Be sure to ask about copying and printing, and bring a USB drive for downloading.

  • Some private colleges and universities have similar programs. You may be asked to provide proof of registration (transcript, bill, class schedule, etc.) or residency. Borrowing is usually restricted, or materials are for library use only. Again, visit or call your local campus library for details. Fees are common at larger and more specialized libraries.

  • While most small public libraries do not have extensive collections to support university classes, larger branches may have materials suitable to supplement our database resources. Most public libraries offer Interlibrary Loan services to their patrons for a minimal charge or for free. Contact your local public library for details. Very large public libraries often have good research collections and databases and allow state residents access. Some even have programs that allow state residents remote access to research databases, like Boston Public Library and NYPL.

  • State government libraries are generally open to the public. Contact the particular library, the state government information service, or your local state representative office(s) for more information.
  • Private libraries (in hospitals, law firms, corporations, non-profit organizations, etc.) generally are not accessible to the general public. Members may have access to a variety of materials and services, often for a fee. Contact the library in question for details on access and membership.

Buley Library is always interested in establishing agreements with other libraries. If you visit another library and they are interested in working out an arrangement for reciprocal privileges for distance students, have them contact me.